Temperatures are heating up, and for me that means keeping meals light and simple (and the oven OFF). I love eating fresh, seasonal salads for lunch and/or dinner in the summer because they are easy to make, have a cooling effect, and are so very nourishing. This White Bean Summer Salad is the kind of meal I’ve been craving lately.
The components of this salad are simple, flavorful, and come together quickly. Plus, it contains great sources of protein and healthy fats, so this salad can act as a meal when you don’t feel like cooking. You can use any fresh greens you have on hand. I like arugula for its spiciness and romaine for its crunch, but baby lettuce or spinach would also work well. The lemon vinaigrette pulls it all together, and adds brightness and a touch of sweetness to the salad.
Allow me to express my love for radishes. Radishes are great for skin health because they support digestion, hydration and detoxification. They have natural cleansing effects on the digestive system, helping to break down and eliminate stagnant food and toxins. Radishes contain sulphur, which helps remove deposits and stones from the gallbladder by improving bile flow. Their high vitamin C content can calm gastric discomfort and act as a laxative. And they are a good source of zinc, a cleansing mineral that supports the immune system and helps heal wounds (think scars, cuts, burns, etc). This makes them a therapeutic skin food all around.
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed (Cannellini or Great Northern)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4-5 cups greens (arugula, spinach, butter lettuce, etc)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 4-5 thinly sliced radishes
- 1/3 cup green olives
- 1 can tuna
- 1/4 cup chunky feta
- Handful parsley, coarsely chopped
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, combine beans, 1 tablespoons oil, and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until beans are warm (a few minutes); remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Make dressing by shaking all ingredients in a mason jar until emulsified.
- In a medium bowl, combine the greens, red onion, radishes, olives, tuna, and feta. Pour in half the dressing and gently toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper, and add any additional dressing if needed. Enjoy!