I know what you’re thinking. Broccoli? For breakfast?
But hear me out. I’m a big proponent of broccoli and other green vegetables for breakfast. Scientific studies now show that 8 servings of veggies and fruit per day is the minimum for the lowest risk of chronic disease. Veggies are some of our best sources of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and cancer fighting phytochemicals, so eating plenty of vegetables will benefit your health in many ways. And if you are going to eat 8 servings of vegetables per day, you better start first thing in the morning!
I recently returned from a month-long trip to India (incredible), and one thing I was looking forward to when I got home was getting back into my breakfast routine. I LOVE Indian food, but it is very carb-heavy, and I wasn’t able to eat a lot of fresh, raw produce (dirty water). Since I’ve been home, I have been loading up on protein, healthy fats, and plenty of those leafy greens!
This breakfast bowl has everything you need to feel full and satisfied for several hours, with a balance of protein, fat, and carbohydrates to fuel your body and nourish your cells. The runny yolk from the egg acts as salad dressing, and with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, you really don’t need to add any extra sauce (unless of course you want hot sauce). This is a great way to add an extra serving of healthy green vegetables with your favorite breakfast staples like bacon and eggs.
I got this salad spinner for Valentine’s Day and I love it! It is the perfect size for 2 people, and it has a flat lid which makes it stackable (important for small kitchens like mine).
If you thought salad was just for lunch, think again.
- 1 slice bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- lemon juice
- 1 big handful arugula, spinach, or kale
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 1/2 an avocado
- 1-2 eggs
- a few slices of red onion
- goat cheese (optional~omit if doing a detox program such as RESTART or Whole30)
- Cook the bacon in a wide frying pan over medium heat.
- After a minute or two, add the broccoli and cook until tender. Remove the broccoli and bacon from the frying pan and sprinkle with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- Return the frying pan to the burner and cook your egg(s).
- Now, assemble your bowl. Start with the greens, then add the broccoli + bacon, avocado, carrot, egg, onion, and goat cheese. Season with salt and pepper.